Performance, 50 min, 2012
by Andrea Božić in collaboration with Julia Willms
“Once they are in the same state, they remain linked no matter how far they travel from each other.”
Attributed to Ervin Laszlo who was influenced and inspired by Nikola Tesla
Lithium is an interdisciplinary performance and a power generator in one. The performers - five dancers of the Emio Greco | PC company, a composer, a visual artist and a lighting designer - are like the poles of a battery, remaining connected even at a distance.
Lithium is a performance based on a triangle relationship between energy, society and mood. It looks into how energy production affects our ways of working and being together, and what kinds of moods emerge as a result of this relationship.
Lithium draws on the energies of two moods dominant in the contemporary western society: 'mania' and 'melancholia'. In the combination of the two: Melanchomania, a dynamic space is created in which the energy flows and the atmosphere constantly shifts.
A minimalist production with a number of spectacular interruptions; a living organism that transforms continuously. Based on stomp-the-yard step dancing on an imaginary chessboard to the texts from Eliot's The Waste Land and Beckett's Rockaby (both melanchomanics themselves).
Lithium is made as a part of Andrea Božić's two-year residency at the International Choreographic Arts Centre (ICK).
'You can really feel and see the change of energy in Lithium. It is a sucking power which pulls the dancers ever more into the all encompassing racket, both audio-visually, freeing them at the same time ever more from there own little selves. A capturing dramaturgy.'
1. The simplest alkali metal, the lightest solid element (Li).
2. A mood stabilizer.
3. A battery.
4. Absorbs neutrons in nuclear fusion.
5. Gives fireworks and flares a red colour.
Concept, choreography Andrea Božić concept, design visual space, light Julia Willms music, sound Robert Pravda dance Victor Callens, Dereck Cayla, Vincent Colomes, Neda Hadji-Mirzaei, Suzan Tunca light design Paul Beumer, Maarten Heijdra dramaturgical advice Henk Danner costume Nathalie Pravda photography Anna van Kooij
Produced by International Choreographic Arts Centre ICKamsterdam in co-production with Frascati. Made possible by the VSB Fonds
- Premiere 5 January 2012, Frascati Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 3. – 7. January 2012, Frascati Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 6 Juli 2012 (Lithium Mania), Julidans Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 8 Juli 2012 (Lithium Mania), Kunstfort Vijfhuizen, Vijfhuizen, The Netherlands
- 16 – 18 April 2013, Theater Kikker, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- 23 – 24 April 2013, Frascati Theater, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 26 April 2013, Chasse Theater, Breda, The Netherlands
- 27 April 2013, Korzo, The Hauge, The Netherlands