An audio installation for a room with a view, a book (edition of 500, 69 pages, 12x9 cm), a video (4.38 min)/ sound, an insert into a calendar, an insert into a book, 2013-2018
by Andrea Božić and Julia Willms
A World is a manifesto in the form of an artwork that changes format depending on the context it is placed in. The manifesto is an artwork and the artwork is a generator.
A World is neither a utopia nor a dystopia. A World is an invitation to re-think the world by undoing. A World is a proposal for an ongoing practice.
A World opened on 21 June 2013 at EY5 (a former Joseph Beuys gallery) in Duesseldorf. It so far exists in the form of an audio installation for a visitor to an empty (gallery) space with a view to the outside, a book, an intervention into the Big Amsterdam Art Calendar 2014 on May 1 (International Workers Day) with a page: A World With No Time, a radio broadcast for one’s own room with a view, a book within a book ‘art of lawlessness’, a live performance and a film.
A World was first written in 2012 within the context of a 36-hour marathon titled Eight Hours Do Not Make A Day within the framework of We Live Here – AnAcademy 2012 an artistic exchange platform initiated by Nicole Beutler, Andrea Božić and Marijke Hoogenboom. The marathon gathered some 25 art and culture practitioners and asked them to prepare a contribution in any format responding to the question:
How would you like to live and work regardless of what you are already doing?
A World is part of the Intergalactic Constellation which includes the performance Intergalactic (An Attempt To Overcome The Binary) by Andrea Božić, Robert Pravda and Julia Willms | TILT and a composition for a global orchestra The Smallest Sound At The Biggest Distance by Robert Pravda | TILT.
A World is made possible by the financial contribution of the Mondrian Fund. Intergalactic Project is made possible by the financial contribution of the Dutch Performing Arts Fund, Amsterdam Fund for the Arts and the SNSReal Fund.
Exhibitions and presentations:
- Gallery Obrist @ Ey5, Düsseldorf, Germany, 2013
- Gallery Obrist, Essen, Germany, 2013
- Possible Futures Festival, Vooruit, Ghent, Belgium, 2013
- The Big Amsterdam Art Calendar, 2014
- We Live Here, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Possible Futures Festival at Vooruit, Ghent, Belgium
- Frascati, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- BBB Festival, de Brakke Grond/Frascati, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Radio Futura, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Kruisruimte, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- SCHUNCK Glaspaleis, Heerlen, The Netherlands
- A World, 69 pages, 12x9 cm, edition 500, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2013
- The Practice of Dramaturgy: Working on Actions in Performance, editors: Konstantina Georgelou, Efrosini Protopapa, Danae Theodoridou, Valiz, Amsterdam (NL), Art of Lawlessness, Institute for Live Art Research, Athens/London/Amsterdam