Performance, 1:10 hrs, 2013
by Andrea Božić, Robert Pravda and Julia Willms | TILT
Intergalactic (An Attempt To Overcome The Binary) is an interdisciplinary performance that crosses borders of disciplines and re-organizes perception. Intergalactic plays with a set of simple binaries – left / right, black / white, before / after – to pose questions about the polarization and radicalization of the contemporary society. Starting from a set of black-and-white papers, the performers reorganize the black box theatre space. It is duplicated as a miniature on stage and movement, sound and video projections take the audience to a world within a world.
'A great example of out-of-the-box thinking.' Trouw
Intergalactic (An Attempt To Overcome The Binary)
Intergalactic is a site specific performance for a location in which it is performed: a black box, a white box or any other box-like interior. The performance is in dialogue with the physical and architectural space and the context it is performed in. It premiered in 2013 and keeps growing, changing and developing every time we perform it anew, incorporating the memory of the previous spaces in its continuous transformation.
This performance is part of the Intergalactic Project, which also includes A World, a manifesto in the form of an artwork by Andrea Bozic and Julia Willms and a composition for a global orchestra The Smallest Sound at the Biggest Distance by Robert Pravda.
The original is unfaithful to the translation.
– Jorge Luis Borges
Intergalactic is the first production by TILT, an indisciplinary platform founded by choreographer/artist Andrea Božić, sound artist Robert Pravda and visual artist Julia Willms to inspire and support artistic practice and thinking beyond disciplines.
Concept, visual space design, text and performed by Andrea Božić and Julia Willms directed by Andrea Božić concept, sound, performed by Robert Pravda performance collaboration Sonja Jokiniemi lighting design Katinka Marac space advice Marion Tränkle technique Jeroen de Boer advice Jeroen Fabius costume Nathalie Pravda manager Karin van de Wiel photography Ben van Duin
Produced by TILT, co-produced by WEB (Frascati, wp Zimmer, Vooruit, Le Vivat) and the International Choreographic Arts Centre (ICK), supported by DasArts
This performance is made possible by the financial contribution of the Dutch Performing Arts Fund, the Amsterdam Fund for the Arts and the SNSReaal Fund.
- Premiere 7 March 2013, 8 and 9 March 2013, Frascati Theatre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 5 October 2013, Try-out, WP Zimmer, Antwerp, Belgium
- 23 October 2013, Possible Futures Festival, Vooruit, Ghent, Belgium
- 26 November 2013, NEXT Festival, Le Vivat, Armentieres, France
- 21 and 22 February 2014, Zagreb Dance Centre, Zagreb, Croatia
- 9 and 10 January 2014, Theater Kikker, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- 15 and 16 May 2014, COME TOGETHER: Beauty, Bauhaus and the Beast festival, Frascati & Brakke Grond, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 24 May 2014, Grand Theatre Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
- 8 September 2014, Moving Meetings, Brakke Grond, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 16 March 2015, Theater ins Blau, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 11 and 12 April 2015, Kruisruimte Eindhoven, The Netherlands